Please note that Registration for our 2020 #DigitalInclusionChallenge is now CLOSED.
Applications submitted henceforth will not be processed.
We are now reviewing all applications and to pick the top 150 teams. Teams that have submitted an application should expect to hear the status of their application by the 19 Oct.
After submitting the Registration form below, we will be in contact within two weeks to confirm if your application has been successful. Please note that the teams selected to pitch their presentations to our judges will be asked for each participant to provide a form of identification that is linked to their place of education for verification.
If you are an educator, policy maker, student, or technologist and would like to attend the industry professional presentations but not take part in the Challenge, then please express your interest here.
Please ensure that only one person per team submits a registration form.
The Challenge will take place completely virtually this year and is open worldwide to all current High School, College and University students.
Teams must be between 2-6 students each. This event is free to take part and we encourage teams from a broad range of backgrounds globally to participate, especially those groups currently under-represented, so that we can capture a diversity of perspectives in the solutions that emerge.
If you are interested in taking part but cannot find a team, we are able to add individuals to a waiting list and we will try to pair them with other suitable candidates in a similar time zone - please fill in the form below and we will do our best to matchmake you. We encourage teams which are of School-age to have a responsible adult or teacher available as part of your team for help and advice - these do not count towards the 2-6 student limit. To encourage a level playing field, all teams must be current students and therefore Grad students are not able to take part on this occasion - although they may still join the industry presentations.
We recommend (but not enforce) that each team has 1-3 'technical' students and 1-3 'non-technical' students:
- the students who will form the 'technical' core of their team should have a computer science, software or related background
- the remaining students will come from a variety of other disciplines (eg Business, Arts or Graphic Design interests)
Roles and responsibilities for the team members will centre around the following areas:
- artwork and design, application user interfaces
- developers: front-end, back-end, UX
- business analyst: impact of the solution, value proposition, customer impact & benefits, research
- presentation and pitch development
Teams that do not meet the ‘technical’ requirements can still take part in this event. ~10% of the judging criteria will be based on the strength of your solution coding, so if your team does not code then there is still plenty of opportunities to excel on the remaining ~90% of the criteria by creating your solution design, impact, and proposal document. 'Technical' students do not to have to be expert coders, but should be able to create a mockup of their proposed solution. Judging criteria will be distributed closer to the time, but last year's can be found here for reference.
Teams will be provided with access to mentors during the Challenge, alongside free web development, UX-design, design thinking, and pitch advice courses after Registration to support them in the Challenge.